Let Your Words Flow

Let Your Words Flow
Let Your Words Flow

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Blues Bones Release Day


Today is a day I have dreamed of for a long time. My first book is available to the world of young readers. In the book Rodney Becker has quite an adventure along with his best friend Max. Would you have ventured into a graveyard at midnight when you were thirteen? I didn't, but my sister, my next door neighbor, and I had a lot of creepy adventures anyway.

One of my first writing attempts was with my sister and next door neighbor. We wrote a script for the thee of us to film. We wrote the script but never had money to buy the movie camera. Our movie, To Kill a Vampire, never made it on film, but it is still a vivid memory.

Here is a taste of Blues Bones. Just for you! Rodney and best friend Max are going to the graveyard.

We didn’t say anything for about two minutes while Max watched the glowing dial of his watch. The air even started to feel weird. A breeze would blow, and it was like someone turning the thermostat up and down. First, it was warm, and then it would feel cool. After a few seconds, it would get warm again.

“It’s fifteen ’til,” Max said. “Time to start.” He struck another match and lit the candle.
“Why fifteen ’til?” I asked. “I thought we were supposed to do it at midnight.”

“Midnight is the time between good magic and evil magic. Fifteen ’til is the time to start because we’re doing good magic. According to hoodoo anyway.”

“Hoodoo? I thought we were doing Voodoo.”

“We’re using a little of both, I guess. Okay, get ready to start reading.”

Max dripped rose oil onto the dirt mixture in the bowl.

“Give me the pencil.” He pulled a goldfish shaped sharpener out of his backpack and used it on the pencil, letting the shavings drop into the mixture. He handed me a stick of incense. “Okay, now light this.”

I held it over the candle to light.

“Blow it out!” Max said.

When I did, the end of the stick glowed red and started to smolder. “That stinks. What scent is it? Rotten gym socks?”

“It’s Dragon’s Blood.” Max took the smoking stick and stuck it into the ground beside the bowl. “Now read your paper.”

I had to lie down and hold my paper up to the candle to see the words. It was supposed to be a spell, but it sounded more like a poem to me. Max dangled the Voodoo bag above the candle as I read.



***
What could go wrong, right? This was one of my favorite scenes to write. Hope you enjoy Blues Bones! Go ahead and order yours today.



 Thirteen-year-old Rodney Becker has found the perfect cure for stage fright. Voodoo!

Armed with the stolen finger bones of a dead blues guitar player and a mishmash of voodoo spells from the Internet, he and his best friend enter a graveyard at midnight to perform their ritual. Now, all that stands in his way of winning a local guitar competition is the power of RETURN – a side effect of the voodoo that spells disaster for Rodney.

His cure has become a curse. How else can he explain jamming his finger so bad he can't hold a guitar pick, his part-time dad stealing his guitar, and his mom getting into an accident that could have taken her life?

How much is Rodney willing to risk to achieve his dream of being a guitar legend?

18 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I have a copy and can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Medeia. Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoy it. Rodney and Max are always getting into trouble of some kind.

      Delete
  2. That sounds awesome, Rick. Congrats! Happy Book Birthday! (I'm a little late, but it's the thought that counts, right?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm running late too! Thanks Katrina. And thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed reading your blog todY. Your book sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading the blog, Jackie. It was a fun book to write. I like spooky.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it. That was from one of my favorite scenes. Rodney and Max have fun getting into trouble.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the excerpt and swag pack giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for posting. Good luck on the giveaway.

      Delete
  6. My buddies and I road thru many graveyards on our bikes late at night and into the morning. And yes, it was spooky and I hope my grandson will like this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brian. Thanks for stopping by. We used to ride late at night too, but never got to go to a graveyard. We managed to scare ourselves anyway.

      Hope your grandson enjoys Blues Bones. Let me know.
      ReplyDelete

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nothing bad. I just posted a reply in the wrong spot! It's been a long day.

      Delete
  8. I have been trying to get my daughter interested in reading awhile. I hope your story will interest and inspire her. Thanks for the chance to get it. Della at deepotter@peoplepc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great when a child finds the magic of reading. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete